Ha, Ha, Ha...I Work Out!

So it's been quite awhile since last I blogged.  It always seems a hectic life with our kids are always to blame.  I'm not going to recap all that's been going on but during January I made a pledge/resolution whatever you want to call it to begin a workout regimen.

I picked up a free trial to the local Curves and went twice.  Yes, twice.  I hated it.  Reasons why I hated it.

1.  I felt like I was 70 years old in there.  All the women are older.  Like my grandmother older.

2.  Said older women all get in their circle and chat with each other while doing the stations.  When I work out I really want to be left alone to do my own thing without social interaction.

3.  I can't use my own music to workout to.  I mean you really can't use any music.  They play pre-recorded music during the workout and then a chime comes on with a woman's voice instructing you to the next station.  During a workout I really just want to get in my zone to my own music and do my thing.

So I cancelled.  Actually, I just let my free trial run out and never went in to sign up.  So I was back to square one.

Then a medical problem hit me.  A problem that I don't really wish to divulge but it left me basically stranded on the couch for two months.  Once the problem went away I decided I had had enough.

I come from a family where the entire family is obese.  We have been for years.  I always said I didn't want to end up or look like them and I took pride in the fact that I was so concious of not getting to that point.  Then I got pregnant with our twins and after they were born I just never really did anything about it.  I mean, they keep me plenty busy and plenty active.  But truly, being pregnant with twins left fat on my body in all the wrong places.  Fast forward a few years and I knew my weight was creeping up there but until last year after a family vacation I realized how bad I was.  I'm the photographer in our family so I'm rarely in pictures as it is but I happened to see myself in pictures and I was shocked.

I can't believe I look like that!  Certainly, not as bad or even close as most of my family members but still, no where near where I ever wanted to be.

So in February of this year I began researching P90X.  I took one look at the commercial and knew if I ordered it I would be setting myself up for failure.  I knew there was no way I would ever be able to complete it.  I would quit the first week.  This is a fact.  But when I read reviews on it and discovered other people felt the same way, I knew there had to be something else out there.  And there was.  One reviewer mentioned Power 90.  Also, created by Tony Horton (the guy from P90X) but the predecessor, if you will to P90X.  It's touted in the package as In Home Bootcamp.  Perfect!  This is what I need, I thought.  I ordered it and couldn't wait for my DVD's to come in the mail.

I received them on a Saturday and vowed I would start on Monday.  Monday rolled around and I started giving myself all these excuses as to why I couldn't work out that day.  Well, I finally caved and thought I would try it.  I mean I just spent all this money I better...right?  Well, that first day, led into a second, which led into a third and before I knew it I had completed the first week.  I was sore.  No, I was more than sore. I could barely move.  All I kept thinking is how am I going to work out 6 days a week?  6 Days a week for 90 days????   I mean just get Sundays off?  For 3 months?  I was used to starting an exercise program and only doing it for 3 days a week if I was lucky. But as their slogan says.  Decide.Commit.Succeed.  So I knew I had to stick it out.

I began my journey on Monday, March 5th.  Today is April 7th and I just completed Day 34.  In the past month I have lost 15.6lbs! I wish I can say how many inches I've lost but I never took measurements prior to starting.  I can say that I recently went shopping and I had to buy a size smaller in jeans.  The funny thing is the legs of my new jeans are still a little big.  I've noticed little changes like my stomach getting flatter.  My bras felt a little big and I had to adjust the straps.  Overall things seem to be lifting and toning.   I am not starving myself.  I am watching and recording everything I eat in the Lose It app from iTunes.  I have regulated myself to a 1, 500 calorie diet and I still have on average about 500 calories remaining each day.  I have not missed a workout.  Hell, two weeks ago I worked out in the morning, had surgery in the afternoon and still worked out the next morning.  As crazy as this sounds I kind of look forward to working out.

I have my own little routine.  I get up, make the kids breakfast and then immediately work out.  I like Tony Horton!  I never thought I would say that about someone that kicks my ass 6 days a week.  I laugh at his quirky little things he says and does each time I watch the tape.  Most of it I have memorized by now.  I'll admit there are days that I DO.NOT.WANT. to workout at all.  I've actually said to the TV how much I hate him in the moment but I still do it.   I have more energy, I am starting to tone things that haven't been toned in years, I'm losing weight and I feel good.  I feel happy.  I'm not where I want to be yet and I know it's going to take me about another 11 months to get where I want to be but I know I can do it.  I don't want to stop.  I've recently decided to start training for a 5K in September so Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I am going to add in the Couch 2 5K program as well.  I used to love running and I know I can do this as well.

I have a family wedding to attend in another 6 weeks and I said I didn't want to be the fat cousin at the wedding.  I've always seen myself as the biggest (even though I know I am truly not) but that's the way I've always looked at myself.  I would love to lose another 20 lbs by the wedding. I have 6 weeks to do it and I really think I can.   I've already bought 2 different dresses that fit me like a glove but I think it would be a riot to have a need to get those dresses altered before I wear them at the wedding.

My short term goals are:

1.)  Lose another 20 lbs by May 12th.  (I'm not going to pressure myself into this one.  It would be nice to complete this by the day of the wedding.  But, if not I am happy by whatever I have done.)
2.)  If I don't complete Goal #1 then I want to lose that additional 20 lbs by the end of my program which is June 4th.

My next goal would be:

1.)  Upgrade to the Power 90 Master Series and complete this program.
2.)  Lose another 20 lbs.
3.)  Complete the 5K on September 10th.

My long-term goals would be:

1.)  Lose overall 75 lbs.
2.)  Complete the Power 90 Series and graduate to P90X.
3.)  Complete P90X
(Timeframe remaining would be 11 months.)

The weight goals I am really not concerned with.  The way I figure it is if I stay active and stay on a program then the weight will take care of itself.  I have to remember that instead of looking at how far I have to go I have to look at how far I've come.  As I've mentioned before the slogan for Beachbody is Decide.Commit.Succeed.  I've already completed the first two.  Now I am tackling the last one.

Comments

Popular Posts