How do I love thee Hostess let me count the ways...



My favorite, all-time cupcakes are Hostess.

My very first memory of eating a cupcake is eating a Hostess. I've even been eating them the same way since I was 6 years old (I am now, 31).

First I eat the little white swirl. Then I eat all the chocolate, the I break the cupcake in half and with my tongue scoop out the white cream. Then and only then do I eat the cake.

I even think that the new Hostess 100 calorie cupcake packs are the best thing since sliced bread. However, can't we just add another 25 calories and add the white swirl?

With that said two weeks ago I had to attend a Surprise 50th Birthday celebration for my aunt. I was asked to make cupcakes (of course!). With that said, I wanted to stay in a true 50th birthday fashion and decorate the cupcakes black and white.

On the day I was to make the cupcakes I came across this recipe in the Taste of Home Cupcake & Muffin issue and switched to it!

They were absolutely perfect! And so easy to do!
I know there is a recipe floating around the internet for "Faux-stess" cupcakes and these would be the equivalant. I am now calling them "Faux-stess".

They were a huge hit at the party and have quickly become my number one most requested cupcake now!
What follows is the recipe...ENJOY!

Cream Filled Cupcakes:

1 package Devil's Food Cake Mix
2 teaspoons hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 jar Marshmallow Creme
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Ganache Frosting:

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Prepare and back cupcakes according to package directions, using paper-lined muffin cups. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

For filling, in a small bowl, combine water and salt until salt is dissolved. Cool. In a small mixing bowl, beat the marshmallow creme, shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla on high until light and fluffy; add the salt mixture.

Insert a small round pastry tip (#230) into a pastry or plastic bag; fill with cream filling. Insert the tip halfway into the center of each cupcake and fill with a small amount.

In a heavy saucepan, melt the chocolate chips with cream. Cool. Dip cupcake tops into frosting; chill for 20 minutes or until set. Store in the refrigerator.

Yields 2 dozen.

P.S. I used the remaining cream filling to pipe the swirl on the top. I have also used white fondant and put that on the top as well. For example, for the birthday party I had exactly 2 dozen cupcakes and there are exactly 24 letters in the phrase, "Happy 50th Birthday MaryAnn". So I cut small letters out of fondant and used them for the garnish. But by doing the swirl you get the true "faux-stess look!"


Comments

Gigi said…
Great looking Hostess cupcakes!
Julie said…
I'm sure that your cupcake tastes much better than a hostess cupcake does...looks fabulous.
Anonymous said…
wow that is so cool!
Cakespy said…
Lovely! I bet they taste a bit better than the hostess I remember...
Unknown said…
Cream filled cupcakes, its like food from heaven:-)and the frosting looks dreamy. I have to try them.
Thanks for sharing:-)
X M
kate said…
these look *fabulous*. i, too, and a hostess cupcake fanatic.

when i was growing up we lived right near a hostess FACTORY STORE. for real. that's like, kid heaven. bigtime.

half-priced hostess? we were done for.

----------------
kate
www.thecleanplateclub.net
Wow...these turned out darling looking! Perfect looking!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for this nice recipe, it looks fabulous.

Popular Posts