All Good Things Must Come To An End!


That is how the saying goes....right?

At any rate, six months ago I began taking the Wilton Method Cake Decorating Course1. I just began that course thinking I want to be able to learn a few techniques so I can make the next birthday cake for my sons.

Not only did I finish that course but I went on to take the next 3 in the series. This week I finished the Fondant & Gum Paste course.

I can't believe where I am at now compared to where I was when I started.

What started out as something very simple and for me has led my life into a direction that I never saw coming.

When I was a child my aunt was the cake decorator in the family. I never showed any interest in doing what she could do. Now, I have started my own cake business and currently have booked an average of 3 cakes a week for various occasions.

And yes, I do all this and still have time for my 20 month old twins.

The truth of the matter is it is one of the few things that I really, truly enjoy doing. To me it's relaxing (until something goes wrong...), and I love to be able to turn nothing into something.

It's something that I am really good at too. I joke that I swear I am a little OCD but in Cake Decorating this is a good thing. When it comes to my cakes I am a perfectionist. It's a very good thing to be a perfectionist and it can also be my downfall.

But I love it. And right now I wouldn't be doing anything else.

(Pictured is my final cake from the Fondant & Gum Paste course).

Comments

Susie said…
I want to take the Wilton Cake Courses too. In the spring maybe I'll start.
Great job on your cake. I'll be taking a better look at your blog after I play tag with my grandson.
:)
Nice,
Susie
Anonymous said…
Beautiful! I took the first course but never went on. Congrats!
that's a beautiful cake!

i plan on taking those wilton classes eventually...

:D
Me and thee. said…
After I received your message on Swap-bot, thought I'd stop by to check out your cakes. Oh my goodness! This is absolutely fantastic. You are clearly a very talented cake-making lady. So jealous:)
Anonymous said…
Thought I'd check our your cupcakes after I received your Swapbot mesg. Oh my goodness, they are fantastic (esp. the decoration on this cake), you are a clearly a very talented cake-making lady.
Deborah Dowd said…
What a beautiful final exam! And so much nicer than a scantron! I wish I had the patience not only to bake, but to take the time to decorate. To make a cake that looks as beautiful as it tastes would be a joy.
Anonymous said…
You write very well.

Popular Posts