Hello my name is Gina and I am THAT mother!

This month Parents magazine printed an article on the different types of mothers. They had the competitive mom, the lax mother etc, etc.

I feel that they left one out.

It is the type of mother I am.

And for this I feel the need to stand and speak!

Me: (standing), Hello, My name is Gina and I am an overachieving mother!

Phew.

There I said it.

The first step in healing is being able to admit that I have a problem.

Yes, I am that mother. That mother that everyone secretly hates. Loathes even.

I made all homemade baby food, I teach my kids sign language, I even prepare them three hot meals a day.

Okay, so I broke one of my most important rules with not letting them watch T.V. (They watch one hour M-F and that is just Sesame Street, what can I say they LOVE ELMO!)

The only thing that keeps me from being a total overachiever is the fact that I did not breastfeed. First of all, I had no interest, second of all I was having twins, and third of all for reasons that you don't need to know right now I couldn't.

But the thing that I secretly relish is this.

I love being the overachieving mother.

I love that I was able to take the time to do these things for my boys. I don't think that by being the overachieving mother that my boys are smarter, faster, or better than any other the same age but I think it made ME feel that they were.

Will I continue to be the overachieving mother well into their teens? Probably.

I'd like to think that at some point I will calm down, but for now, I will carry on!

Comments

Popular Posts