Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Butter Glaze


Apparently my recipe for Chocolate Zucchini bread that I posted a while back has begun to gain some new popularity lately. Which of course caused me to have some cravings for Zucchini bread. Add that to the fact that I bought four zucchini at the market this weekend and I knew I was going to have to make some bread.

However, I found a recipe for Zucchini cupcakes and thought I would give that a try at the last minute.

I think I may have found a new recipe for plain old Zucchini bread in the process. Let me explain. My grandmother's recipe is for a chocolate bread. These cupcakes have no chocolate whatsoever in them. Which is what I like. While I constantly get compliments on my grandmother's recipe I always find it to be too chocolatey. I plan on trying these cupcakes into a bread but in cupcake form they are delicious. Jam packed full of flavor and extremely moist. They would be wonderful as a muffin too.

Actually, my kids preferred them that way as well. I felt that the Caramel Butter Frosting overpowered the cupcake flavor so next time it's just bread or muffins for this recipe.

But what a way, to start back my cupcake sales!

Enjoy!

Zucchini Cupcakes

3 eggs
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 vegetable oil
1/2 orange juice
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini

Caramel Butter Frosting
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 cups confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Add zucchini and mix well.

Fill cupcake wrappers two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before frosting.

For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and milk in saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool to lukewarm.

Graudally beat in confectioner's sugar until frosting is desired consistency. Frost. Yields 2 dozen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've got ton's of zucchini in my garden and I was wondering what else I could do with it Thanks I'm going to make these cupcakes Thanks Kim
Dolce said…
I love this recipe, people think I am weird when I tell them you can use zucchini in cakes!
ShellyH said…
oh my gosh...they look fabulous!
Pity said…
hi gina, this recipe los so tasty and delicious! i am going to try it right away, I have been looking through your og, and i love it! please visit mine if you have the time,

cheers!

pity
ww.pityinthekitchen.blogspot.com
tracieMoo said…
your blog looks amazing! everything here looks really good.. thanks for sharing the recipe for your zucchini cupcakes. I would like to make them soon when I have time to bake.
Katie said…
This was the perfect treat to celebrate our first garden harvest! My husband ate three at one sitting. YUM!!!
Simply Life said…
oh wow, those look amazing! Great idea!

Popular Posts