Caramel Apple Cake


I am a sucker for those little recipe books found at the grocery store checkout stand. I must have at least 100 of them on my cookbook shelf in my pantry alone. Sadly though the little recipe books aren't doing it for me lately and I've started buying full on cooking magazines. Granted there is only one that I religiously buy (Food Network) but I found another one that is quickly stealing my heart.
That little nugget is called MixingBowl.com. Yes, that really is the name of the magazine. Now I've checked out the website and while it's good there is just nothing like turning the pages of this little magazine gem. The saddest thing is they don't offer a subscription so it's a find and buy kind of deal but regardless whatever the newsstand price is it's seriously worth every penny.
This month after restraining myself from licking the pages I hunkered down on a nice fall day and make the Caramel Apple Cake recipe on page 19. It's from MixingBowl.com member BarbaraJF. Seriously, this woman is my new best friend.

For years, I have religiously made my grandmother's apple cake recipe every fall. It's one of those recipes that I grew up on. I've never even come close to anything even remotely as delicious and simple as my grandmother's recipe. Until now that is.

This is not your grandmother's apple cake. My dear BarbaraJF has come up with a recipe that trumps my grandmother's recipe. I don't even think I could go back to making poor grandma's recipe. (Don't tell her that though). Not only is the recipe super easy, quick and delicious but it's also super moist, flavorful and balanced. You would think the caramel topping would be too sweet but it's just perfect. It even got rave reviews from the rest of my family. One of my sons that doesn't even like cake asked for 2 pieces! If that doesn't speak volumes on the quality I don't know what does. I'm posting the recipe below...enjoy! But save me a piece!

Caramel Apple Cake

Ingredients:
3 medium apples, peeled & chopped (2 cups)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 package 2 layer yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 package (4 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
12 caramels (found in the bulk section of the grocery store)
1 TBSP water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Grease and flour a 10" fluted tube pan or bundt pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine apples, walnuts, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, the 1 cup of water, oil and pudding mix. Add apple mixture; mix well. Spread batter in pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

For topping, in a small microwaveable bowl, combine unwrapped caramels and 1 TBSP water. Microwave for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth. Spread over cake. Serve immediately. Makes 10-12 servings.

Comments

Unknown said…
I am SO going to try this cake! It sounds delish and easy too. Thats a BIG plus in my world ;)

Popular Posts