A bit of Fall? Or Summer?


I have mentioned before what a sucker I am for those grocery store recipe books that line the checkout stands. I did finally break down and buy a subscription to the Pillsbury publication and love when it comes in the mail.

About two weeks ago I received the September issue in the mail entitled "Fall Baking". I had a small dinner party coming up and while flipping through I found a recipe for Berry Peach Cobbler. The thing is that all the fruit and berries it uses are in season at the market in the late summer here so I thought it would be perfect for my dinner party.

Man, was I right!

Simply decadent. It was the hit of the dinner party and I have since made it again (for Labor Day dessert). but instead of the raspberries I substituted strawberries. Again, I don't think you could go wrong substituting any fruit your heart desires in here. Instead of placing this all in one casserole dish to bake I used individual ramekins and baked for 30 minutes. I also served with a small 1 inch scoop of Breyer's Vanilla Lactose Free Ice Cream.

The recipe follows. Try it. Trust me, you'll thank me later!

Berry-Peach Cobbler

Biscuits:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cut into pieces
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon decorator sugar crystals, if desired

Fruit Mixture:
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
3 medium peaches peeled, sliced
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 2 -quart glass casserole with butter or cooking spray.

In medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. (The flour and sugar that is called for in the biscuit section). Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until combined; set aside.

In 2 1/2 quart saucepan, stir together sugar and flour (from fruit mixture section). Stir in blueberries, raspberries, peaches, lemon peel and lemon juice. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Spoon fruit mixture into baking dish.

Immediately, drop biscuit dough by 8 spoonfuls onto hot mixture. Sprinkle sugar crystals over dough.

Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts