A Little Change.


So I am a self-proclaimed amazing cook. I am a self-proclaimed great baker. I can cook or bake just about anything. Homemade cakes, cupcakes, pies, candy...you name it, I am pretty good at it.

With this comes one exception.
I cannot, repeat, Cannot, bake cookies.

Oh yes, well in theory I can bake cookies. They just never come out right. I don't know what it is. I think I have overbaked just about every cookie I have ever made. My chocolate chip cookies come out too thin, and usually way too crispy. I just suck at cookies!

At any rate, a woman that my husband works with gave me a recipe for my very favorite cookie..."Half Moon Cookies". These cookies have always been my favorite. I love the cake-like cookie. I love the Vanilla & Chocolate frosting. I think these cookies got a little more interesting with that Seinfeld episode where Jerry & Elaine are in the line at the bakery when Jerry quips that the true challenge when eating a Half Moon cookie is consistently getting equal parts vanilla and chocolate frosting in every bite.

So anyway, I have had this recipe for 5 years without trying to make them. That's right, I said 5 years. The recipe calls for 1 cup of spoiled milk. Yes, spoiled. One thing about me...I am obsessed with throwing milk out before the due date. Yes, I know it's still good, but to me it's not. Last week I noticed that the sell by date was two days past (GASP!) and just as I was dumping the milk down the drain my husband reminded me that I have wanted to make those cookies.

So I saved 1 cup and stuck it back in the fridge so it would spoil.

And spoil it did. About 3 days later I was able to smell the nastiest smelling milk ever! It wasn't curdled just had that smell and of course looked like it was separating in the container.

So I finally made the half moons.

Probably the quickest cookie recipe I have followed. But not the best smelling.

Word of advice, if you get a little dough on your hand...DON'T LICK IT!!!

I was tasting sour milk for hours after.

But the result was nice, cake-like cookies. The recipe says it yields 2 dozen. I used a cookie scoop and got about 3 dozen. But all in all, so good. I will definetly let milk spoil in my fridge more often.
Enjoy!

Geri Byrd's Half Moon Cookies

1 cup shortening
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour milk
1 tsp. baking powder

Cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Add dry ingredients alternately with the sour milk. Drop by tablespoon onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set in a 350 degree oven. Let cool. Frost with 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 vanilla frosting (your favorite). Yields 2 dozen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
WOW! DOUBLE YUM CANT WAIT TO TRY

LOVE THE PIC.. I WAS SO HAPPY TO DAY TO SEE A NEW BLOG FROM YOU

YEAH

DESHONAT26@YAHOO.COM
Snooky doodle said…
You really surprised me with this post. First how can you bake all this amazing stuff and not bake cookies :-) impossible. Second, didn t know spoiled milk can be used for cookies. Good i hate throwing away things . Good way of recycling, thanks for recipe. I Like your blog
Kinton said…
YUM!

This sounds delicious :)

Popular Posts