Can I Have S'More Please?


When I started Cake Crazed at the Rochester Public Market my main thought was I wanted to theme my cupcakes around the seasons and holidays. So what better way to celebrate Summer than good old fashioned S'mores.

You know S'mores. I think everyone has a memory of being around a campfire with a pack of graham crackers, marshmallows and a hershey bar. Even restaurants now sell gourmet versions of s'mores. That chocolately, marshmallowy, sticky goodness.

Yummmm.

For this week I themed our Cupcake of the Week the S'more Cupcake. I used the recipe found in Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella (the best cupcake book!). You start with her recipe for Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cupcakes (found here... http://crazyaboutcupcakes.com/recipes.htm). I only had on hand 1 cup of mini chocolate chips so instead of the 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips I used my SS mini ones instead. I made her Marshmallow Frosting recipe and began to assemble.

Wow!

What a sticky, gooey mess!

I had marshmallow frosting everywhere! She says in her recipe for the s'more cupcakes to assemble, frosting, graham cracker, chocolate fudge, marshmallow and another graham cracker on top. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I had to simplify it just a little bit. So I did frosting, graham cracker, dollop of frosting and then grated sem-sweet baking chocolate. And actually I did some just plain with a graham cracker on top.

I packed them up for the market and saved one to try. I was getting a little frustrated trying to peel off the wrapper...I mean literally there was dripping marshmallow frosting everywhere! The wrapper kept sticking to my fingers and finally comes the moment of truth. I bit into my s'mores cupcake.

The heavens opened, the angels sang, I think even at one point I heard harp music coming from somewhere in the Cupcake Heaven.

The cupcakes are delicious!
I was quite impressed with just how easy they were, sure I had a ton of dishes to do when it came to being done but they were worth the extra work. Not bad I think for my first "from scratch" cupcake. (I have always started with a cake mix as a base).

I know they are sticky, and gooey and messy, not what I think about wanting when it comes to a cupcake but it's exactly what I think about when I think about a s'more.

And if that doesn't say summer, I don't know what does!
On an afternote, today is my 31st Birthday! And I told my husband I would not make my own birthday cake...but I never said anything about Cupcakes!

Comments

Abby said…
What a cute idea! I love that kind of frosting.

Popular Posts