Ummmmmmmm Ummmmmmmmmmmm!


A word I love to hear in repitition! Actually the word should be Yummmmmmmm Yummmmmmm, but my 18 month old twin son Dominic leaves off the Y.


We have the hardest time getting him to eat. He eats like a bird. He does eat but even things he loves as his favorites sometimes he just won't eat. I think he would rather drink his meals (milk and juice he won't pass up.)


At any rate when I hear him say "ummmmmm" I know I hit a winner!


Last night, I made a tried and true recipe for Spinach Lasagna. It's a recipe that my mother used to make when I was a teenager. It came out of a cookbook called "The New Dieters Cookbook" and seriously it is my very favorite lasagna. And a bonus is you can have 2 pieces as 1 serving and it doesn't taste like it's a diet lasagna. It's absolutely delicious.


Last night Dominic seemed like he was starving...making the sign for "eat" even before I had the lasagna in the oven to cook. When he sat down to eat he took about 3 bites before I got the "ummmmmmmm ummmmmmmm". When I asked him if it was good he said "good ummmmmmmm ummmmmmmmm". Not only did he eat a whole piece of lasanga but he also ate 2 pieces of garlic bread.


The bird was a vulture!


At any rate, I am so glad he found something healthy that he really liked! (The rest of the family loved it as well!)


Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it! Enjoy!
Spinach & Ham Lasagna
POINTS® value 5
Servings 6
Main Meals
Serves 6.
265 Calories
25g Protein
25g Carbohydrate
7g Fat
53mg Cholesterol
821mg Sodium
507mg Potassium

Ingredients

6 items dry lasagna noodles
10 oz chopped frozen spinach
2 cup fat-free skim milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp dry minced onion
1 1/2 cup cooked ham
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese

Instructions

1. Cook Lasagna noodles in lightly salted boiling water for 10n to 12 minutes or till al dente. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook spinach according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.
3. For sauce, in a medium saucepan combine milk, cornstarch, and dry minced onion. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
4. Spread 2 tablespoons of the auce evenly on the bottome of a 10x6x2" baking dish. Stir ham and Italian seasoning into remaining sauce.
5. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles in the dish. Spread 1/3 of the sauce. Layer spinach atop. Layer another 1/3 of the sauce, the cottage cheese and half the mozzarella. Place remaining noodles atop. Top with remaining sauce and mozzarella.
6. Bake in 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or till heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


Comments

Popular Posts