Telemarketers!

When I was working 3 jobs to pay my tuition in college one of the jobs that I held part-time was a tele-fundraiser. I guess you could say that I was one up from a tele-marketer on the totem pole. What a tele-fundraiser does is calls a pre-selected list to raise money for different organizations.

The only difference between myself and a telemarketer is the people I was calling donate to the campaigns every single year. So in essence, I wasn't selling anything. However, I have always had somewhat of a soft spot for telemarketers because I know what I hard job it must be.

My soft spot has hardened.

Last night, John and I sit down shortly after 9 to watch American Idol and at about 9:15 the phone rings. Now, I am already pissed because seriously...who the hell calls at 9:15 at night. I mean I hate to sound old but you just don't do that unless there's a problem. I run into the kitchen to grab the phone hoping beyond hope that the boys don't wake up with the ringer because I think I left one of the phones upstairs. I grab the phone and see...

UNKNOWN NAME
UNKNOWN NUMBER

Below is our conversation:

Me: (More than slightly irritated) Hello?

Man: Hello Maam can I speak to John (then he completely butchers our last name)

Me: Sir....it's 9:15 at night.

Man: (Responds, Mumbled)

Me: (Incredulous) EXCUSE ME????

Man: I said, if it's too late than don't answer the phone.

Me: Sir, you do realize that in New York State it is illegal to call after 9:00 at night.

Man: Yeah, Right no it's not

Then he hung up on me!

The bastard!!!!

I know first hand that it's illegal because even though it was telefundraising that I was doing we would get written up if we called after 9 in certain states...New York being one of them.

All night I was thinking about it and I just looked it up....

I hope the asshole calls back because I was right.....and now I know I will be nice as can be so I can get his information and report his ass to the state attorney general!

Comments

Popular Posts