Parental License? Revoke It!

I have always been a firm believer that there should be parental licenses. I mean they make you get a license to hunt, fish, and drive a car...why not a license test to become a parent?

It makes perfect sense...if you think of all the stupid parents out there it just makes sense. And it would cut down on children that are caught up with said stupid parents. Take for instance, in the news this week the man arrested because he used a stun gun on his crying infant. Or how about the parents arrested a few months ago because the parent's were sleeping in bed next to the infant while their pet ferret chewed off the baby's toes. I mean COME ON! That baby had to be screaming for that to happen and you just sleep through it?

I am not limiting my parental tests to just no brainer situations like that. But like everyday cirumstances as well. Case in point....

Me...

If there was a test for parents yesterday I would have failed miserably. The boys were upstairs playing nicely so I decided I would go down to the basement and start a batch of laundry. I come back upstairs to find that J had opened the dishwasher (that is his new trick now...real fun when it's running let me tell you!), and is now running around the kitchen with a butter knife in his hands while his brother D is running with a steak knife.

Me, being their unlicensed, parent proceed to take the knives away from them and say...and I quote..."We Don't Run With Knives!"

I mean WHAT????!!??!?!

Even I stopped when I said it and was like....ummm excuse me....can you play the tape back?

Am I saying that it's okay to play with the knives? Just don't run with them? Or was I saying that it's okay to open the dishwasher and take out all the knives and distribute them amongst one another....just don't run with them?

I was brought back to the days of my childhood when my mother would go to work and leave us home and say 'Don't answer the door!" "I don't care if the President Of The United States or the Pope, himself knocks on the door, you are NOT to answer it!"

I remember thinking even then....come on mom...are you serious? The Pope...The Holy Father knocks on my door and I am not going to answer it? Isn't that like right up there with all the 10 commandments combined? A certain one way ticket to hell because you ignored the Pope?

Or the President? Wouldn't like the Secret Service MAKE you open the door?

At any rate, after beating my head into the kitchen table repeatedly I actually found it amusing and thought I would share it with all of you....

Now I brought you into this world....and I can take you out!

Comments

Popular Posts